Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Fan Disappointment....

To: ronc@sonic.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Fan Disappointment....
From: Rsoifer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:29:42 EST
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the info.  I'll bear it in mind.

In my experience as a CW DXer, the best approach is not to zero-beat the
last station worked, unless you have a rock-crushing signal (which I  don't).
Rather, what works for me is to analyze the DX op's pattern of  replies, to
figure out where he might be tuning next.  As you said, the  Orion/O II's sub
receiver is good enough for that.  CW Skimmer, while it  might be nice to have,
isn't really necessary for that either.

Actually, if more and more ops use CW Skimmer to position themselves in
pile-ups, it will become self-defeating in the same way that DX clusters are
today.  As the old-time ball player said, the thing to do is to "hit 'em  where
they ain't."

I "retired" from serious contesting 35 years ago, when I moved out of the
PVRC's contest circle.  It sure has changed since then!

73 Ray W2RS

In a message dated 11/19/2008 6:09:08 P.M. GMT Standard Time,  ronc@sonic.net