Re: [TenTec] Omni C help

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni C help
From: "John Cox" <jecox@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 17:46:16 -0600
Hi Jerry
I would say that it is probably not tht mechanical part of the PTO.  If It
is the rebuild kit which is a good thing to buy while it is still available
will probably not help since it just replaces the grease and wear parts in
the drive.  I would think that taping on the tuning knob on any Ten-Tec  PTO
of this type would cause a frequency shift since you are moving the screw
drive when you do that.  Now if you are really banging on the key when you
send that could be another story =:-)
I would look for something heat sensitive in the circuitry common to the
receive and transmit oscillator frequency generation.  I would see how my
Omni C reacts to taping but I blew the final transistors while testing after
rebuilding the PTO  I accidentally turned the band switch while key down
which is a no no.  I still had the front panel off and got confused.
73, John
KC0YAI