Re: [TenTec] Omni C help

To: <geraldj@storm.weather.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni C help
From: "Phil Chambley Sr." <k4dpk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 01:06:17 -0500
I do not believe the issue with the Ten Tec PTO mechanics is one of wear in
the planetary drive, and I will explain my reason.  The drive is made up of
ball bearings, tracking in a bronze race.  We've all seen electric motors
with ball and bronze bearings run for years without a problem.  An electric
motor will rotate more in a day than a PTO shaft will be turned in twenty
years, and it will do it without noticeable wear.

The real culprit with these PTOs is a combination of using a grease with
poor aging properties, along with the use of a PLASTIC THRUST BEARING CUP.

It is the latter that causes the greatest problem.

The thrust bearing cup keeps pressure on the planetary drive.  The friction
between the balls and the shaft/race assembly must always be greater than
the resistance of the return spring and other frictional losses, otherwise
the drive will slip.  As the grease thickens, the need for better contact in
the planetary drive assembly is multiplied.

The problem is, the thrust bearing cup is made of plastic, and it is mounted
via two screws in its "ears" which are out of plane with the shaft.  This
allows the mounting ears to stress-relieve, and reduce the pressure on the
end of the shaft, and consequently, on the planetary drive.  When this
happens, the drive will begin to slip, whether or not the grease has
thickened, but thick grease will magnify the effect.

I recall seeing one bearing cup so deformed that it was necessary to
re-surface it by scrubbing it on a flat emery surface.  I've repaired quite
a number of these drives and have never had one fail again.

The drives I've corrected only required cleaning out the grease and removing
one of the washers under each ear of the thrust bearing cup.  This restores
the pressure on the ball/race assembly.  Removing the PTO is not usually
necessary for this operation.

Phil C. Sr.

k4dpk