Re: [TenTec] Fw: Orion RIT/XIT

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Fw: Orion RIT/XIT
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:48:27 -0700
Art:

The problem was originally believed to be in the "A" connector from the
board where the RIT is to the logic board.  That's a good place to start,
but I found later that the real culprit, at least in my case, was one of the
"board-to-board" connectors that the A connector is on.  It's hard to work
on those pins, but with a little careful nudging of the boards, you can fix
the problem.  My original post on that is below.

            Ron N6IE
       www.N6IE.com

The connector that has been mentioned that caused the problem can be seen in
the picture on page 4 of the Orion (565) V2 Logic Mod.  It's the connector
marked A.  I checked the straightness of all of the pins and slightly bent
the ones the original post mentioned but found the 'fix' only worked for a
short time.  I opened the radio again and found a connector on the same
board that was not connected to a ribbon cable, but rather connected two
boards together.  I very carefully 'massaged' the boards to exercise the
connector pins and that fixed the problem for good!  It's probably been a
year since I did that and no further problems.