Re: [TenTec] Mobile

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Mobile
From: Lee <lee@wa3fiy.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 21:08:50 +0000
Ah YES, an Argosy 3 or is that Argosy III? Something I hoped Ten Tec would do for many years. I'd keep it at 50 bullet proof watts ( any SWR at full power with no damage and no power reduction) and an internal antenna tuner. Keep the other features and performance of the Argonaut VI.

I have a sort-of Argosy II and a half with my Argonaut VI and Hardrock 50/AT. I call the amplifier Jason, so my rig is "Jason and the Argonaut". Well....my kids like the name :-). I'm still working through the fine points of integration but it's looking good. The radio performance of the Argonaut is hard to beat and Jason adds useful power and an automatic antenna tuner. The Argonaut especially is battery friendly which is important. Jason is a bullet proof 50 watts and is good for QSK to 20 wpm stock and has a QSK option if wanted. It is amazing how often I use only the 10 watts and have Jason turned off; no parasitic battery drain at all. When I need the antenna tuner I turn Jason on but in bypass (QRP) mode and the tuner is in line. Adds a little extra current load but not much. Perhaps some day TT could update the 418 to include and antenna tuner that works even when the amp itself is bypassed. That would be sweet. But I know they currently have other priorities which make sense.

I sure hope TT brings the Argonaut VI back on line. It should be pretty easy I think with so much similarity in bill of material to the Eagle. The Argonaut is a really sweet radio.

73,

-Lee-

WA3FIY