Topband: Topband Administrivia

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband Administrivia
From: btippett@alum.MIT.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 12:35:54 +0000
Hello All!

        160 must be entering prime season because I see we had about
25 posts the first day!  This may be good news but it also raises a few
concerns.  Many overseas subscribers still have to pay by the K-byte
for their E-mail and I don't think we really want to lose them by
filling their inboxes with unnecessary messages.  I would like to
remind everyone to do the following:

1.  If you have a question, how about first searching the archives
before firing off your question.  Yes, it's more work for you but be
considerate of the other 800 subscribers before asking a question
which has already been answered many times.  The following search
engine is dedicated to ham radio and covers all the archives on the
contesting.com site:

http://www.eham.net/search/

If you spend a little time learning how to use this, it will allow you
to easily find almost anything that has been posted since August 1996.

2.  If you are answering a question, think twice before copying the
reflector.  Things like "That's right Sam!" with the entire previous
post attached are not very helpful to the rest of us!  I personally
still like the idea of the person posting the question requesting
replies directly and then summarizing for the rest of us.  Isn't that
a small task in return for getting some good answers to your question?

        I'm concerned since I've seen reflectors die when they become
filled with trivia and blowhards publicly yelling at each other.  This
usually results in the folks that really have significant things to say
being driven away by the noise.  If you want an example of this, just
go look at some of the newsgroups (rec.radio.amatuer.XXXX).

        Please continue to post your 160-related questions, but try
to be considerate of the guys that don't have free unlimited internet
access or time to wade through a million E-mails.  I have been doing
some filtering but am leaving for 6Y5 for a week and don't want the
person who is temporarily taking care of admin duties to have to do
unnecessary work.  Please just use your head, follow the two
suggestions above and, ABOVE ALL, be considerate of the other 800 on
the list!

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  No radio on this trip...just beaches and my XYL...but I'm keeping
my eyes open for a good radio site!