Topband: Long Path

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Long Path
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:29:20 +0000
Robin WA6CDR wrote:

>Just a quick reminder- especially with the hi performance effort at A61AJ
>coming up -  "Long path" does NOT always mean the great circle reciprocal
>of short path -  especially on top band and in the solar maxima.  Don't
>forget to listen ( and transmit) on the southern non polar paths -
>especially during the critical sunrise-sunset periods.

        What you say is generally true, although in this specific case
"long path" happens to be close to the true 180 degree reciprocal path because
of the alignment of A6 and W6/7.  However, as you point out, that is often
not the case (e.g. 3W5FM or XZ0A to the East Coast).  The most interesting
aspect of "long path" is the consistency of signal azimuths at ~210 degrees
before local sunrise and at ~150 degrees after local sunset.  This fact is
independent of true azimuths and is most likely influenced by the location
of the terminator which closely aligns with these two directions at sunrise