Topband: Re: 1843

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: 1843
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:45:57 +0000
N4ZR wrote:
>I'm confused.  Does the current voluntary bandplan refer to the lowest
>suppressed carrier frequency, or lowest emissions?  Is the intention that
>the FCC-established SSB portion will start at 1843?  If so, as I understand
>FCC practice, the lowest permissible suppressed carrier frequency will be
>about 1846.

        This was clarified in a reply comment to the FCC:

        Mr. Critchell is correct in his assessment.  As members of the ARRL 160
Bandplan Committee, we discussed the problem of some amateurs not
understanding the 1840 limit to be the edge of their lower sideband
emission.  We chose to use 1843 as the lowest carrier frequency for LSB
emissions, ensuring that no portion of an LSB signal would fall below 1840.
The applicable FCC definition in Part 97.307b states:

 "Emissions resulting from modulation must be confined to the band or
segment available to the control operator. Emissions outside the necessary
bandwidth must not cause splatter or keyclick interference to operators on
adjacent frequencies."

Given this definition, we are in agreement that our request could be revised
to "1840-2000 Phone, image" in Part 97.305c without materially changing our
intent that RM-10352 be kept consistent with the ARRL Bandplan
recommendation.  This modification would also keep RM-10352 consistent with
the IARU Region 2 Bandplan recommendation at:

                http://www.iaru-r2.org/hf_e.htm

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV