Re; Topband: NR1DX - K3KY - Beacon DXing - Two Daves

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re; Topband: NR1DX - K3KY - Beacon DXing - Two Daves
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 21:41:45 +0000
W3UR wrote:
>I replied to the original post, which the moderator cut off.

         Bernie brings up a point that is a bit of netiquette
which I should explain.  Many of you are doing two things
you should reconsider to make life easier for all of us:

1.  Please don't top post.  This is like what the Great Karnak
(Johnny Carson) did on TV...putting "The answer is"...before
"The question is".  If you want the context of a previous message,
do what I did above, identify the person who wrote the comment
and include ONLY the part that's important to your message BEFORE
your reply.  This is very easy to do with "Cut" or "Copy" and
"Paste" in most E-mail programs.  On most E-mail programs, you can
choose to have your reply comments added AFTER the previous message
instead of BEFORE.  Then you can very easily cut out the irrelevant
stuff and add your comment in proper context.

2.  Please don't include the ENTIRE previous post.  Take a couple
of minutes and select ONLY the context that is important to your
comment.

        When I see top-posting to entire previous messages, I
often shoot first and delete everything but the new message.
Please remember the guidelines you got when you subscribed:

"Be considerate of other subscribers who have bandwidth limitations
and edit posts for succinctness (include ONLY relevant excerpts of
since HTML attachments will also be bounced).  When responding to a
specific individual, think carefully before copying to the other 900
of us on the reflector."

        Yes, some people do still pay by the kByte but it's just
common courtesy to be concise.  It doesn't take much effort to learn
to do this, it will make your messages much more readable, and much
less subject to me deleting important context for your comment.

                                          73,  Bill  W4ZV