Topband: Feeding multiple beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Feeding multiple beverages
From: richard@karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:31:04 -0800
I have been able to get away with
using a common ground system and
match transformers for multiple
beverages emanating from one point.
(I switch on the high-Z side).
Also, it seems to be OK to have
a 30 degree angle between one beverage
and the next.  Perhaps this isn't
absolutely optimum, but I haven't
noticed any difference between this
compromise and single isolated beverages.
I do isolate the coax shield from
the ground rod by floating the low-Z
side of the transformer.  I think this
is one thing you must do right.

To reverse direction, I run coax to both
ends.  There are relays that terminate the
beverage when not energized and connect it
to the feed when energized.  So I energize
one end or the other.  Three of my
beverages form an equilateral triangle.
Each feed point can feed one of two sides.
There is also an additional beverage at
each feedpoint 30 degrees away from the other
two (forming 3 "altitudes" of the triangle).
These have a dedicated terminations at the
far end.  I get 12 directions with six
termination points and about 1/3 mile of coax.
(The beverages are 520 feet long).

Rick Karlquist    N6RK
richard@karlquist.com
www.n6rk.com