Topband: Feeding multiple beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Feeding multiple beverages
From: n0tt1@juno.com (n0tt1@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 03:01:56 +0000
> > I have been able to get away with
> > using a common ground system and
> > match transformers for multiple
> > beverages emanating from one point.
> > (I switch on the high-Z side).
>
> My dislike for doing that comes from years of measuring relays and
> switching systems. I think people would be amazed at how poor some
> relays are, and some layouts.

Hi Tom,

That brings up a question or two:  Assuming the use of say, 75 ohm
coax, what is a good method for selecting/switching various receiving
antennas *in* the shack?...i.e.,
it is a great advantage in contests to turn a single rotary switch or
have
"express" push-button switching...but other than a deluxe matrix of
coaxial relays, what's a good method to handle all the different
antennas and perhaps allow the connection of any antenna
to any receiver?

(Let's hear from other TopBanders too...what switching methods are
being used?)

Assuming that an unselected antenna should *not* be left
"floating", would it be best to just short it to ground or terminate
it in it's characteristic impedance?

> The bad part is unless we measure the system in a controlled
> environment, we might not be aware of any problems magnitude.

So, one could easily bench measure cross-talk with some common
equipment such as a RF oscillator, a attenuator and a receiver, right?

73!
Charlie, N0TT

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com