Topband: Skew

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Skew
From: Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:40:04 -0500
> leaving high angle lobes thus opening the question; is
> the apparent skew possibly due to a signal arriving at
> a very high angle?

Maybe it is Greg, that's of course a good question or reasonable thought.

But the skew is clearly there with arrays having very little high angle
response and very sharp patterns! If you listen to sound demonstrations at
http://www.w8ji.com/dx_sound_files.htm you can hear the directivity of noise
and signals. I'll try to get some of K9DX beaming NW when I receive SW. I
find the long delay echos fascinating examples of how much scattering there
is, and the phase delay in the path.

When the signal skews, I find it skews on ALL antennas. When it multipaths,
I find it multipaths on all antennas. I have never yet seen a case, with the
exception of an actual defect in an antenna through a mishap or component
failure, where an antenna gives a false direction heading (although that
certainly doesn't say it could never happen).

73 Tom