Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...
From: "Chuck Hutton" <charlesh3@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:40:27 -0700
Hardy:

What you say is perfectly true, but only for a particular case.

A lot of texts say that because that's what appeared in Beverage's original
AIEE paper. Beverage was concerned only with LF signals that were being
received only by groundwave. In that case, perfect ground would yield no
induced signal. He never addressed the case of skywave propagation in the
professional journals.
(Later, Beverage wrote a paper in QST about his antenna for 200 meter
reception and wrote about very good results with stations all around the
country via skywave.)

I'll also appeal to basic principles here. All the Beverage can receive is a
horizontal vector in the incoming wavefront - in other words it relies on
the incoming wavefront not being perpendicular to ground. How that is
produced does not matter; it can be "feet dragging" due to lossy earth or
tilt due to arrival angle of an ionospherically propagated signal.

Chuck