Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...
From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:46:12 -0400
Tom Rauch wrote:

Second, if it did work to crate a low resistance path the
effect would only be to make the antenna stop working.
Beverages depend on ground losses to function.

I respectfully beg to differ. The original Beverage was developed to receive LF and VLF signals via groundwave. The lossy ground caused the wave to "tilt" and hence it was able to induce a signal into the horizontal Beverage wire. The situation on HF is different as the ionosphere supplies the wave tilt in most cases. It might actually be an advantage to make the antenna "deaf" to groundwave signals in those cases where there is a strong local broadcast station.

My understanding of the wire under the beverage was that it stabilizes
the impedance when the ground conductivity changes (after rain for
instance). A stable impedance makes for stable nulls.

73, Roger

--
Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)
http://ussliberty.org/