Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...

To: "Larry Molitor" <w7iuv@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Two Wire Beverage Query...
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:13:51 -0400
> I have to wonder if the two wire Beverage is worth the
effort. It seems a lot more people have them than I first
thought but they don't seem to brag about them much. Is this
because of lackluster performance caused by the stringent
requirments for transformers and grounds? Are these antennas
just to complicated to be useful?

No, they work very well. I've used them for years.

> Assuming a person overcomes the transformer issues, what
about grounds? Tom suggests that grounds are critical and
require rods and radials in most cses.>>

Grounds become more critical as you lower the surge
impedance of the antenna. That happens with wider wire
spacing. Keep the wire spacing close and they work the same
as any other Beverage.

 removed in the Spring. Two rods have been sufficient for
single wire Beverages but probably not good enough for the
two wire version. I don't know of any other way to provide a
termination.>>>

If they are good enough for a single wire antenna, they are
good enough for a reversible system if wire spacing is kept
fairly close.

Lowering the surge impedance does not make the system stop
working, it just makes things worse than they could be with
close spacing. If you cut the antenna impedance in half, it
makes sense that common mode problems and grounding problems
become twice as bad.

That doesn't mean it won't work, it just means you have to
be more careful to isolate the feedline from the Beverage
ground and use OK grounds.

I don't have any idea how things work when the ground
freezes. I don't know what frozen dirt looks like anymore.
Can't help there.

73 Tom