Topband: Beverage Ant question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Beverage Ant question
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <heartdoc@nwtcc.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:40:39 -0500
Hello:

This year, only my 3rd year on topband, I decided to splurge and set up a 4
beverage antenna using 2 reversible (2 wire) antenna that are nearly
orthogonal to each other. The first is oriented NE-SW and utilizes simple
house wire and is 500 feet long at about 8 feet high. The wires are
separated by about 6 inches. The splurge part is that I am using the DX
Engineering RBS (reversible beverage system). The next beverage I have
running NW-SE and utilizes ladder line at a height of about 4 feet. This one
required me to send the wire about 200 feet across a lake.  There was no way
to stay over land and be anywhere near orthogonal to the first beverage.
(The only possibility would be to center feed the beverage, but I'm not sure
how I would accomplish that). As you might have surmised by now, the end 200
feet of this 600 foot beverage is mostly in the lake ! I'm using metal fence
posts to support this antenna and it also utilizes the DXE RBS.

Does anybody have experience with a beverage in the drink ?! Will this still
work ? How should I change this to make it better ? I could slide some PVC
piping over the fence posts and gain more height and, possibly, get a little
altitude over the water.

The latter beverage seems very quiet - almost too much. The first beverage
hears very well into EU with appropriate QRN.

Thanks and 73,

Jamie WB4YDL