Topband: Antennas in trees

To: Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Antennas in trees
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:27:03 -1000
Trees no doubt absorb some RF. Those of us who use trees as supports
often do so because they are our best option. If you have towers use
them, and if you have trees and no towers, by all means use the trees.

If you are using a pulley, as most tree supported antennas will, use a
good one. I have never found a decent pulley in a hardware store. Buy
your pulleys from a marine supply outfit. The ones used in small
sailboats are usually big enough for antenna projects. Quality pulleys
will cost 2X to 10X what the cheesy hardware store ones cost. The
advantage is they are designed and built to work without breaking or
jamming. After you have put all the effort into getting that pulley up
in the tree, you don't want it to fail, just so you can save ten or
twenty bucks.

DE N6KB