Re: [RTTY] 160

To: "'Joe Subich, W4TV'" <w4tv@subich.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 160
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 06:02:13 -0600
I like and operate both RTTY and 160.  I agree with Joe.  I think his last
sentence is particularly interesting.  160 is a special band.  It's the
narrowest of the non-WARC HF bands.  Even SSB seems to be only begrudgingly
accepted by the die-hard 160 ops, as the noise and narrow slice of spectrum
make CW so ideal. Propagation, noise, and antennas make operation on that
band very challenging and satisfying.

160 is mostly a winter band, especially if one doesn't have good, low-noise
receiving antennas.  Snow static and storms make operation there tough
anyway.  The winter weekends are especially precious to 160 ops.  I see no
need to antagonize others by operating a RTTY contest also on that band
during one of the major 160 contests that is, of course, single-band only.

No other bands are called the "gentlemen's band."  It is a special band and
isn't needed as another band for a RTTY contest during a major 160 contest.

Jim N7US