Re: Topband: Silver Solder Techniques

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Silver Solder Techniques
From: W8AV@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:18:34 EST

Tree et al:

I use MAPP gas (methylacetylenepropadiene) to silver solder radial  wires to
copper strap and to make splices between wires.  All i use to  clean the
connection is a piece of steel wool, no flux.  The heat from the  MAPP gas will
further burn away any oxidation on the copper and get the silver  solder to
flow
well.  In the radio business we also used oxygen and  acteylene as well, but
MAPP gas is cheaper and easier to haul around for ham  radio purposes.

Once the joint is made it is virtually indestructible from weather,  etc.

73................de Goose, W8AV

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.