Re: Topband: Silver solder techniques

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Silver solder techniques
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:33:54 -0600
-----
> I used Stay-Brite solder and Kester pure rosin liquid flux.
> If it is oxidized, I have found that
> acid flux (sold for plumbing) works wonders.
> Rick N6RK
-----

I also recomend Stay-Brite solder (4% silver) and the Stay Clean acid flux
(hydrochloric acid -- use caution and wear old clothes!). Acid flux is fine
for radials -- copper and dirt don't care. I used this often back when I did
broadcast work.

I sometimes use cheaper 0.5 % silver content solder, but greatly prefer the
4% stuff because it flows a lot better.

Most of the work was repair, so the #1 issue was getting old copper cleaned.
New wire or strap was never a problem. We used plenty of emery cloth and
occasional filing. Also, good mechanical contact is essential! Connections
should be tightly wrapped or firmly crimped before soldering. This type of
soldering does not bridge gaps very well.

If you want really tough joints, use silver-bearing brazing rod and a
welding torch. We did this on a few jobs that had it in the spec.

73, Gary
K9AY