Topband: Silver solder techniques

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Silver solder techniques
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:42:35 -0800
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 09:20:55AM -0800, Jim Brown wrote:

> When I worked in broadcasting MANY years ago, a very heavy duty
> version of this kind of thing was installed in a good-sized grid
> around the base of AM broadcast antennas, especially directional
> arrays. As an intern from EE school, I spent much of a summer helping
> the chief engineer silver-solder the ground system for a 4-tower
> array on 930 kHz.

I'd be interested in any tricks people have developed for silver soldering
wires in a radial field.  I have had a hard time getting good flow.  I
know you need more heat than with normal solder - but perhaps there are
some other tricks?  I have tried flux as well - but still not feeling
really good about the connections.

Tree N6TR