Re: Topband: Silver solder techniques

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Silver solder techniques
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:16:56 -0800 (PST)
Tree wrote:
> I'd be interested in any tricks people have developed for silver soldering
> wires in a radial field.  I have had a hard time getting good flow.  I
> know you need more heat than with normal solder - but perhaps there are
> some other tricks?  I have tried flux as well - but still not feeling
> really good about the connections.
>
> Tree N6TR

I did about 5,000 silver solder connections to build my 230 foot
diameter ground screen.  I used Stay-Brite solder (available at
any welding supply store) and Kester pure rosin liquid flux.
I used a Master UT200 butune soldering iron.  I used all new wire,
so it wasn't oxidized.  If it is oxidized, I have found that
acid flux (sold for plumbing) works wonders.

I have read that acid flux should never be used for electronic work.
It seems like for ground radials, you should be OK to use it.

Rick N6RK