Re: Topband: half size flag antenna--NW6S

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: half size flag antenna--NW6S
From: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 22:17:52 -0500

> I am interested in building a half size flag antenna (15 ft by 7 ft) to
> work on 80, 40 30, & 20meters.  The antenna will be rotatable and will be
> used to augment my vertical xmit antenna.  My question is what is the value
> of the termination resistor to optimize this antenna.   I will use 75 ohn
> feed line coax.

In principle, it should be the same value as for the larger one (940 ohms I
think)

In practice you probably want to experiment. The optimum termination value
to get best F/B on my flag is higher, up around 1300 ohms.

It may have something to do with nearby objects or it might be that I don't
actually have the dimensions scaled right.   I'm usually interested in
figuring out the departure from theory  but I haven't figured this one out
yet.  I haven't tried too hard because it works well with the termination
I'm using:

http://n3ox.net/projects/flag/flagpattern_lg.JPG

73
Dan