Topband: ground rod replacement?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ground rod replacement?
From: "Dan Kovatch" <w8car@buckeye-express.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:42:54 -0400
I'm in the process of getting some of  the 'stealth' receive antennas ready
for the season and noticed one of the ground rods that I use on the BOG was
very built up with crude and detritus. There was no continuity from the
bottom of the rod to the clamp at the top.  I cleaned it off and used
vinegar and salt to clean the surface where upon I discovered that much of
the copper plating is gone. Now I'm wondering about all the other ground
rods I have out on other receive antennas and if I should replace them?

What is the collective wisdom on this? Do you replace your rods after so
many years (many of these have been in sandy soil ground for 10-15 years)
Does is make any difference in performance that you have noticed?

Dan W8CAR
grounded in Ohio

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK