Re: Topband: Elevated Radials as a sub for the real thing?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials as a sub for the real thing?
From: "Gary Hinson" <Gary@isect.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 15:09:26 +1300
> ... However these claims or myths persist that a few elevated "resonant
> wires" a better ground doth make in comparison to a spider system of
> more wires, shorter wires, laid in the ground or laying on top of the
> ground. Do a few elevated resonant wire avoid the earth losses at the
> base of a vertical?  Do they distort the field pattern by acting like
> low dipoles, at least partially send radiation into the clouds above?
>
> I am certainly interested, as I am sure so are others, what
> the experts,
> the modelers, the real world FSM testers have to say on this. ...

Me too Herb!  Well said.  Despite the current interest, I am dubious about
the value of just a few elevated radials over a decent earth mat but I
suspect it will take some patient scientific experimentation (like that
reported in QST a few months back) to settle this issue.

73
Gary  ZL2iFB

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK