Re: Topband: Steeply Sloping Ground

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Steeply Sloping Ground
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 18:42:47 -0500
Hello Charlie,

I think you will find that longer Beverages on a hill, even with ups and
downs, will surprise you with their outstanding performance.

You say you tried some short Beverages. Can you put up some about one
wavelength? I have two 580' two-wire bi-directional antennas, and part of
them run down steep hills and even across ravines. Yet they work fantastic.

I have read many accounts of people who have installed Beverages in
situations like yours. In every case, they were amazed that they worked so
well! Beverages don't have to be installed on flat ground at all.

You might find some helpful advice at
http://www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html and by searching back through
the Topband archives.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ...   The terrain is very irregular.  My house sits atop a conical shaped
> hill, with sides which slope off steeply in all directions. ... I am not
> sure what to do about the rx antennas.  They can't be placed on the high
> ground, due to space and driveway constraints.  The first season, we tried
> several short beverages ....  To cover desired directions with my property
> layout and the terrain, these must be placed on the sides of the hill, some
> running upslope, some downslope and some sideslope.  They seem to work OK,
> some directions better than others.  Generally, I found that an upslope
> beverage is the poorest performer. ...

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK