Re: Topband: 160M Beverage antenna help requested

To: wa3mej@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M Beverage antenna help requested
From: "David J. Schmocker" <kj9i@centurytel.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 20:03:57 -0600
Jim:
In my experience using reversible beverages,

The W1WCR guide is a great reference and help.  I followed it closely.

You want the beverage height above ground to be just above local obstacles
(deer, snowmobiles, car traffic, whatever is in the path you traverse).   I
used 10' PVC pipes stood  on end as my supports with my reversible bev. wires
at 9' and 10' above ground respectively.
I sloped only the last span on each end of mine down to ground to mitigate deer
problems.  On the rare occasions when they ran through the ends, I just
repaired the wires (easy to detect from testing the beverages).
If you don't slope them down, how do you plan to ground the end termination
point?

I don't know what is window line, but electric fence wire (steel) available at
farm supply stores is very rugged, inexpensive, has great tensile strength, is
re-useable year after year, and works great.

Kind regards, 73

Dave KJ9I

On 8Nov, 2011, at 2:56 PM, wa3mej@comcast.net wrote:

> Good afternoon to ALL!
>

> I am getting ready to put up a beverage for top band.  I have decided that I
> want to put up a two wire system
>
> using window line because of the ease of assembly.  I am not sure if I will
> use it in the null steering mode
>
> or just switch from front to back. I will decide that after I get it up.
>

> After reading the original W1CWR handbook, a book written by K3OQF and
> several articles by Beverage
>
> himself (as well as other references to include much written by W3LPL and
> W8JI) and tempering it with
> my site requirements I have pretty much decided to put it up 7-8 ft in the
> air. BUT... I have several questions.
>

> 1. Is there an optimum height above the ground?
>
> 2, Can I get away with not sloping the ends toward the ground? (the deer are
> heavy around here)
>
> 3. I have 491 ft of window line should I just put that up or should I order
> another 100ft and splice
>
> it together?
>
> 4. What other suggestions do the readers have?
>

> Thanks
>
> Jim WAMEJ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK