Topband: My Take on ARRL 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: My Take on ARRL 160
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 11:27:18 -0500
On 4 December Mike wrote:

"MAR" section includes NB (VE9), NS (VE1) and VY2 (PEI).....sometimes MAR even
included VO1 and VO2 !!! We have to compete against hams in three provinces for
most ARRL contests. Does RI get lumped in with EMA and  CT? - Nope! Does
Montana get lumped in with Wyoming and Kansas?  - Nope! Why is it the ARRL sees
it fit to make three provinces compete against one another?

Hi Mike,

Some 15 - 20 years ago I petitioned the ARRL Contest Advisory Committee on just
that point---but for another contest, the name of which escapes me just now...

Anyway, they agreed & incorporated the SEPARATE PROVINCES in that one as
multipliers, rather than the catch-all "MAR."

Similarly, way-back-when I petitioned them about having the Canadian equivalent
of a U.S. Novice station, so that we here in "VE"-land might also incorporate a
"Novice" tent in Field Day---they agreed on that one, too, I'm happy to say...

The trick, I've found, is to write CARBON COPY LETTERS of your appeal to your
individual CAC rep, as well as the CAC Chairman---the more noise you might
make, the better. It's certainly worthwhile doing, & if your case is strong
enough it has a good chance of at least being considered...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK