Topband: The antenna is UP!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: The antenna is UP!
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:55:14 -0500
Hi,

I survived the adventure in the trees. I left some droop in the wire to
allow for trees to move in the wind. At the far end of the wire I added
a screen door spring just in case it gets a little too tight. Time will
tell if I eyeballed that right. The wire can slide in the fence
insulators I installed so I am hoping the whole affair will stay up
through winter. I have a counterpoise wire laying on the ground. Oh
yeah..the antenna has passed some initial tests. I found on-air signals
on 40 through ten meters and so far it works as well as or better than
my 100 foot loop. I tried loading it on 80 meters but the transmitter I
have on line at the moment seems to have some "issues" on 80, even with
a good 50 ohm dummy load. Ain't it great running "vintage" gear. I plan
to use my Johnson Ranger in the Stew so I'll move that up and try it on
the new antenna. The Johnson has some "issues" on 40 and up but works
fine on 160 and 80. It would be great if I can get on 80 and 160
tonight.

The outdoor water sports part of this adventure is now over!! I'm warm
and dry again.

73,

Bill  KU8H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK