Re: Topband: how to hear through static crashes?

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, "Robin" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: how to hear through static crashes?
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:32:27 -0400
I have found that the cascaded 800Hz mechanical filters in my 75A4 to have
less ringing and IMD induced noise than a TS-940 or 950SD with any of the
250, 400, or 500Hz selections.

Rather than reducing the RF gain pot I use the front end attenuator and have
an external one for the A4. None of the above are even close to ideal and
each has its better nights.

Id also suspect the 50-80KHz LC filtering of the vintage boatanchors to be
superior but reducing the front end IMD might be a chore without the
extensive mods similar to the A4. While my R-4C's had extensive filter, AGC,
product detector and audio mods, nothing was done to the front ends and it
was never a pleasant radio to use for extended times.....with all its own
faults the TS-930 that replaced it was less tiring. For about 6 months I had
one of each.

The NC-300/303 and HQ-170/180 come to mind

Carl
KM1H