Re: Topband: Tuning 160M Dipole

To: "paul ecker" <eckerpw@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Tuning 160M Dipole
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:04:54 -0700
>paul ecker wrote:
>

> I put up a 160m dipole but now need to tune it. SWR at low end of band is
> abt 3 and at top end abt 5. From what I have read this means I need to

It works a lot better to find the frequency of minimum SWR and then
it is a simple matter to calculate how much to prune.  For example,
if the frequency is 10% too low, say 1647 kHz, then remove 10% of the wire
to move to 1830 kHz.  Merely knowing the SWR at 1830 kHz doesn't tell
you with any precision how much wire to remove.

Rick N6RK