Re: Topband: elevated radial question

To: "'Grant Saviers'" <grants2@pacbell.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: elevated radial question
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 19:14:53 -0500
Hi, Grant!

Well, sometimes we have to just "flower where we're planted" and what is IS!

I actually think that an 85' high TEE with elevated radials will be an
excellent 160 antenna for you!!  Actually, I don't expect that
you really need 7 radials. Four should do fine! Of course,  you could add
more later. If you wish! I don't think you'll have much interaction between
your radials and the 4 square receive array since it is vertical, but if the
4 square array has radials you might try to keep them separated from  your
160 transmit radials. I used to have m y 160 inverted-L radials on my small
lot, along with my 80m GP radials and both worked great!

I surely would avoid contact between the 160 radials and that metal
building. Any contact would substantially alter the current distribution,
electrical length and resonance of the radials. All that can be checked with
some imaginative work with an antenn analyzer or dip meter.Note that if  you
connect any two reasonable opposing radials together near the feedpoint, of
your TEE, the pair should be 1/2 wave resonant.

I absolutely would NOT connect to the building  NOR would I  run the radias
over the metal roof! Just use FEWER radials! High conductivity is GOOD! Just
don't connec to it! BTW, you could also  hang and 80m quarter wave wire off
the flat topof  your tee and attach I to the same feed point as the 160
antenna. Of course you would also need to add some 80m radials!

Good luck!! Sounds lie it's likely to be a really good 160 transmit antenna!
-MUCH better than a delta loop~

Charlie, K4OTV