Topband: Don W6AM and Gus W4BPD

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Don W6AM and Gus W4BPD
From: Don Johnson <n4dj@me.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 14:14:13 -0400
I sure remember the 73 magazine articles by Gus, W4BPD. What a DXer and
humorous speaker/writer. Probably my most memorable club meeting was when I met
him in the early 60's. I have almost all those 73 magazines with his articles.
Regarding antennas, Gus did say a rare call was worth a lot of dB gain.
I also have broken pileups where the operator on the DX end recognized my
voice!  Something to be said for the DX op knowing your call and voice. I
suspect W6AM and others were sometimes recognized in the pile ups because they
were known to the DX op or the DX op was expecting to hear them early on in a
DX perdition. Having been on the rare DX end myself, I have been able to pick
out known calls from a mass of almost equal strength signals. I think "Call
recognition" in dB must be added to antenna gain.
73,
Don
N4DJ

Sent from my iPhone