Re: Topband: Low band noise

To: "'Bruce'" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Low band noise
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 17:08:58 -0500
Well, Bruce, if they are using inverters forf the DC-AC conversion, I would
expect I to be pretty nasty - some sort of "modified square wave" or
"modified sine-wave" approximation. Like a HUGE switching power supply! And
if it's tied to the grid or to transmission or distribution lines, it will
be connected to large radiators that can radiate considerable harmonic
energy over considerable distances. A cleaner way to do DC-AC inversion is
with rotating machines (DC motors driving AC generators) but much more
difficult to synchronize with the power grid. I doubt that those folks are
paying a lot of attention to Power Quality!

Regards,
Charlie, K4OTV