Re: Topband: Low Band Noise

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Low Band Noise
From: Jeff Wilson <jjw5257@yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:47:54 -0800 (PST)

________________________________

Hi Brian,

Thanks for posting your interesting wind farm noise report.  As I type, my nice
quiet lowband DXing QTH is being assaulted by a new wind turbine installation
at the minimum 600m distance due East from my QTH, with my 550ft NE Beverage
being within this distance.  More are being installed to the south and west of
me, but further away. Sigh....
The substation for the whole wind farm project is being built about 1 km to the
east of me as well.

I also have a 550kV main power grid line at 800m due East (boy, can I pick
'em!), but this has not prevented my 160m DXing as I have over 100 countries
with 100 watts confirmed, including VK6 since 2007.  Usually light mists, fog
and snow static cause the only noise problem from this high tension line.  See
VE3CV on QRZ.com

So I plan to measure the noise before and after commissioning of this new wind
turbine, scheduled for this April.  My current 160m antenna is an inverted V
80m doublet at 45ft (configured as top loaded vertical for 160) that is in line
with the new wind turbine.  At least that is good news based on your report,
though I almost always use temporary Beverages for rx antennas, so maybe this
wind turbine will not be such a rx noise issue.  Fingers crossed!

One small typo was noticed on Chart 1 that shows S1 = -73db instead of -107db
as per your calibration of the TS-120.

Thanks again and I will keep the topbanders posted with my experience to come!
Since the ice storm of Dec 22/23 2013, this is not shaping up to be a good year
for my QTH.....

73
Jeff, VE3CV

Message: 7