Topband: The "Future" Of Ham Radio

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: The "Future" Of Ham Radio
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 07:59:33 -0500
Hi Guys,

All of this talk about the use of remote receivers, DX spotting nets, etc. etc.
etc. surely will have us all arrive to the point that our "human" individual
efforts to develop a specialized "killer" Amateur radio station will be usurped
and eclipsed by one, single thing: the computer.

Just as streaming companies such as Net Flix have put an end to the
neighbourhood video disc rental store, and paper "hard" copies are being
stopped by The Yellow Pages due to on-line information availability, so, too,
will DXCC become redundant by the use of remote receivers, contesting will
"degenerate" into an electronic battle of computer systems, ad nauseam.

In short, the human element will be effectively removed from the equation, and
with it, any "fun" that we traditionally may have derived from such activities.
That day surely is fast approaching when the intrepid radio op will be able to
turn on his radios, set-up the computer, and then go peacefully to bed on the
eve of a major contest...and to wake up, restfully in the morning, to wander
down to the shack, coffee in hand, to learn that, in his physical absence, the
station made well over 3000 QSOs in the contest, and exceeded minimum
requirements for DXCC.

In conclusion, I have seen the enemy of Amateur radio---and the enemy is us.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ