Re: Topband: Question...

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Question...
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 11:07:17 -0500
Hi Guys,

Wow...! What an interesting question I've posed re. my fictional
"...working-North-Korea-from-a-remote-location" scenario...!

Amazingly enough, fully 7 of the direct respondents to me stated that---in one
way, shape, or form---one COULD, indeed, have the physical ability to do just
what I proposed...but whether it would be legal, or not, was questioned by
about half of those respondents, & nearly everyone made mention of the morality
/ honour in doing such a thing.

The genie is surely out of the bottle, as somebody pointed out earlier. There
are cheaters & "...win-at-any-cost" types in every field of endeavour---Ham
radio is certainly no exclusion to this---and no doubt, more than a few of the
rules will be "vulcanized" by some, as they have always been...

But know what...? I personally don't care. I don't have a berth for my computer
in my shack, & neither do I plan to set one up there any time soon, either. And
as I thought about the issue, it suddenly dawned upon me: the Amateur world is
probably, right now, at a cross-roads much as I think it it was in the 1930's,
& 50's, when self-styled "...REAL Hams" still built their own super-duper
receivers, from scratch, and thumbed their noses at those "appliance operators"
who purchased the offerings from Hallicrafters, RME, Hammarlund, etc. Somehow
the hobby managed to survive through that well enough, & I'm sure people will
somehow find a way to incorporate this latest "incursion" into our comfort
zones, as well.

"C'est la vie...!" after all...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ