Re: Topband: Quarter wave sloper ?

To: 160 <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Quarter wave sloper ?
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2024 14:13:22 -0700
For a quarter wave sloper - assuming the coax goes down to the ground and
runs down the ground some, it should exhibit pretty much the same impedance
at the shield as the grounded tower is showing - which for a 90 foot feed
point will be pretty high and hopefully the impedance looking up at your
top loading is much lower.  Therefore, you would have no reason to put a
balun on the feedpoint.

If your tower was close to a half wavelength long (assuming grounded at the
bottom) - then you would need a choke not only on the coax - but one on the
tower as well (probably best implemented with a tuned section of tower
below the feedpoint limiting current flow at the base of the tower).

Hopefully - the 40M yagi has the elements connected to the boom.

Tree N6TR