Re: Topband: Loading coil current distribution

To: Tom Boucher <tomg3olb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Loading coil current distribution
From: Richard Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2024 18:32:14 -0700
The fact that Tom performed a hero experiment showing that a particular
coil in a particular environment had equal current at both ends by no
means proves that this is the case for all coils and environments.  For
example, how would Tom explain Tesla coils?  Surely the current at the
top (where the voltage is much higher) cannot be the same as the current
at the bottom (due to conservation of energy).  You can calculate the
capacitance to free space for any coil using Medhurst's 1947 formula.
If one end is closer than the other to nearby conductors, the result
will be to step up or step down the current.  I guess Tom would say this
effect "doesn't count" even though it is real.

---
Rick Karlquist
N6RK