Re: Topband: Spot: N5J 1828.5 up 1

To: Wes Stewart <n7ws@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Spot: N5J 1828.5 up 1
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2024 14:27:25 -0500

I remember when Jay, WA2FIJ came on the air from K6LPL/KH5, not to work anyone, but to provide the information about Jan and the plane crash and the need to get her immediate medical attention.

At the time I was WB2SJG and after 20 minutes of trying, I was finally able to break through the EU qrm on freq. to speak with Jay (Jay was a local and he and I were friends) and receive emergency traffic from him. I had to call information (411) to get the phone numbers of the family members of each opr and then I called them and passed the messages from Jay to each of them and let them know that they had survived.

This really brought home to me as a teenager, how critical emergency communications and Ham Radio can be when lives are at stake and how important it is to have people trained in message handling (OES, OPS and the NTS system) and competent in handling emergency traffic. (I was an ORS and OPS at the time).

I never knew the aftermath of what happened. I'm do sorry to learn of the severity of Jan's problems.

73

Bob, KQ2M