Rohn HDBX-48

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Rohn HDBX-48
From: Gene.Smith@mailhost.bellhow.com (Gene Smith)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 12:28:09 -0500 (EST)

Who out there has information or an opinion on
the Rohn series HDBX-48.  This is a 48' self
supporting tower.  I am considering putting
up this tower at my QTH in Medina, OH (Medina
County).  I'll be putting a Cushcraft A3S or
equivalent beam on top of it.  I know this
is not recommended by Rohn because they say
not to use anything with a boom longer that
10'.  The A3S has a boom of 14'.  I might
guy the tower, somewhat weekly with the guy
anchors about 10' from the tower just for
a little extra support.  My main concern is
the Rohn manual for the HDBX says to replace
any loose rivets with bolts.  WHAT?  You mean
to tell my the x-braced rivets might come out?
I assume this means an annual trip up the tower
to check out all the rivets, carrying a cordless
drill and pocket full of nuts and bolts.  How
does one climb this tower with the X braces?

Gene
WD8OZL