Raising (Hell) Beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Raising (Hell) Beams
From: John.Evans@comsat.com (John.Evans@comsat.com)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 11:48:39 -0500
--IMA.Boundary.381928258

        Lee, Depending on the height of your mast above the tower
        you may not want to attach the rope to it, lest you bend
        or break it. If you think about it,you put an enormous
        sideways force on the mast when trying to raise a heavy
        beam with the supporting (tram-line) rope reasonably taut.
        One option is to attach the tram-line to the top of the
        tower (always assuming it can handle the sideways strain)
        and use a come-along and/or a gin-pole to get the beam to
        the right height on the mast. Alternatively, you can use a
        second rope in the opposite direction to the first (suitably
        secured of course) to serve as a back-stay to relieve the
        sideways strain imposed on the mast by the tram-line rope.
        In my experience, it is best if you can attach the tram-line
        to a point a good bit higher than where you need to attach
        the antenna. You can then operate without the tram-line rope
        being too taut, and once you have raised the antenna almost
        all of the way up the tram line, slacken it to allow the
        antenna to come in to the right place. While pulling the
        antenna up the tram line with a tractor has much to commend
        it, you need to have a person on the tower to watch that the
        pull rope, where it is tied to the load, does not reach the
        pulley through which it is being pulled! My tractor could
        not sense the increased strain when this happened, and the
        rope broke allowing a 6-element 20-meter beam (60 ft boom)
        to slide back down the tram-line and,on reaching the ground,
        turn itself into a prettzle! John N3HBX.