[TowerTalk] RE: Using Silicone Grease

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Using Silicone Grease
From: dnorris@k7no.com (Dean Norris)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:13:09 -0700
At 22:14 03/26/1997 -0500, you wrote:

>SillyCone greese (or sealant) exudes a mild acid when drying.
>Unfortunately, part of that evaporating acid goes INSIDE the connector or
>connection while some goes out into the already polluted air.  The part
>that goes inside stays there, being sealed so well by the SillyCone.
>Then, as I did, when you unscrew connection years later, out pours the
>liquid (especially if you allow gravity to aid you in this endeavor).
>
>Donnnna use SillyCone.  Good for windshields, maybe, not coax connectors.
>de K4VUD

Silicone grease (e.g. Dow DC4) is not the same compound as silicone sealant
(RTV).

The DC4 grease is a lubricant and remains viscous like a Vaseline type lube.
(DO NOT USE DC4 IN PLACE OF VASELINE in some applications).  DC4 is highly
resistant to outside elements e.g. WX, heat, cold etc.

RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanization and is a GE trademark as I
recall.  The original RTV was a red goop.  Now days there are a number of
silicone sealants and not all emit vinegar (acetic acid) as a by-product of
curing.  I do not know what the cure by-products are but suspect they are no
more harmful than vinegar.

Some clear silicone sealants make a good seal for aquaria and like doodads.
It is not a cement but may be used as a glue.

73/dx

                  C. Dean Norris, K7NO
               e-mail to dnorris@k7no.com