[TowerTalk] Is this pipe or mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Is this pipe or mast
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 23:29:12 -0700 (PDT)

>  I ordered a 20 foot stick of  2 inch, .250 wall, > 70,000 psi tubing(pipe)
>for use as a mast. The 2 inch spec was o.d.
>  What I received was  1 1/2 inch i.d., .200 wall, 70,000 psi.....the o.d.
>is about 1 7/8 inches.
>
>  Now , can I trust the guy who sold it to me when he says it 70,000 psi?
>It sure looks like 1 1/2 galvanized water pipe to me, but with .200 wall.
>Probably called schedule 80.
>
>  Do any of you pipe experts know for sure?  It has no numbers on it which
>match those in the M. A. R. C. program.
>
> I want to put a 2 element 40, 10 feet above the top of the tower.
>Your advice welcome.
>73
>Lynn
>
>p.s. THis place is the biggest steel distributor in east central illinois

Hi Lynn,

My personal opinion is that they sent you the wrong tube.  Certainly, the OD
is wrong as it is NOT what you ordered.  You ordered 2 inch and they sent
you 1 7/8".

The dimensions you describe match pipe and not tubing and it sounds, as you
suggested, like 1.5" water pipe.  Even if I could get it to fit into the
tower without too much slop, I would hesitate to use it until I made SURE it
was 70,000 psi stuff.

You have a few alternatives, as I see it:

1.  Call them on the phone and tell them they sent you the wrong material
and ask them how they plan to correct THEIR mistake.  They may just tell you
to send it back and they will send you the right stuff, at no extra charge
to you, if they are a company worth dealing with.

2.  If they argue with you about it, I would hang up, wait some time, call
them again getting another saleman.  I would then ask him if he has the
means to actually CHECK the yield strength rating of a piece of material if
you sent him a sample.  If he says yes, cut off 1 inch of the pipe they sent
you and have them analyze it for you.

3.  If he says no, find another place that can analyze it and have them do
it for you.  No doubt, this will cost you something but it is better than a
bent mast and two beautiful antennas ruined.

4.  Can you stop payment on the check you gave them?  Might be a good idea
until you have this resolved.

5.  You can you tell your credit card company you did not get the correct
material and have them refuse to accept the draft from the steel company.
Credit card holders actually have incredible power over the merchants who
accept credit cards if they know how to exercise it.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com