[TowerTalk] Is this pipe or mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Is this pipe or mast
From: JC_Smith@designlink.com (JC Smith) (JC Smith)
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 01:31:49 GMT
Lynn writes:

==== snip ====

  I ordered a 20 foot stick of  2 inch, .250 wall, > 70,000 psi tubing(pipe)
for use as a mast. The 2 inch spec was o.d.
  What I received was  1 1/2 inch i.d., .200 wall, 70,000 psi.....the o.d.
is about 1 7/8 inches.

  Now , can I trust the guy who sold it to me when he says it 70,000 psi?
It sure looks like 1 1/2 galvanized water pipe to me, but with .200 wall.
Probably called schedule 80.

  Do any of you pipe experts know for sure?  It has no numbers on it which
match those in the M. A. R. C. program.

 I want to put a 2 element 40, 10 feet above the top of the tower.
Your advice welcome.
73
Lynn

==== snip ====

Lynn,

IMHO .250 wall tube should have a wall thickness of .250, not .200.  If they
had said 1/4" wall there might be some room for "round off error" but when they
give the dimension to three figures it ought to be a hell of a lot closer than
that.  It may or may not be 70,000 psi, but I don't think you got what you
ordered (unless you or they didn't understand what you were ordering).

I'm not a "pipe expert" but I am a mechanical engineer and contractor.  We use
copper and poly pipe in our work, and the dimensions are right on (maybe +/- a
couple thousandths, but not -50 thousandths).  All the 1-1/2" Schedule 80 pipe
we use has a .200 wall thickness (1.90 OD).  It's the same whether it's PVC,
CPVC, Polypropylene (and probably steel).  Sounds to me like you got 1-1/2" IPS
pipe, not structural steel.

Maybe a real pipe expert will prove me wrong?

73 - JC,k0hps@amsat.org