[TowerTalk] WRONG CATV HARDLINE?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] WRONG CATV HARDLINE?
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 10:31:26 -0400 (EDT)
At 06:54 PM 7/11/97 -0500, you wrote:

>whether or not this cable is going to work for me.The manufacturer name
>on the cable is Commscope.Im not real concerned about adapting it to
>the fittings I need,but I now question whether or not it is 75 ohm.Can I
>assume it is since it is used for CATV? My buddy also indicated that this
>was the biggest cable they use.I hope it is just a smaller type of cable
>and it will work for me.I look forward to your responses.
>
>       Thanks in advance,Bob-WT9Q
>
>--
Sounds like you have 3/4 inch 75 ohm CATV hardline. I've used more than
10,000 feet of it here and at my old QTH. Making connections is easy; you
just need one double-female barrel connector and one hose clamp. Carve out
an inch or so of the foam dialectric in the end of the hardline. (easiest if
done with a $25 coring tool -- maybe Steve K7LXC sells these?) Make four
slits in the aluminum jacket, equally spaced and about 3/4 inch long. Push
the connector onto the center conductor (a snug fit) and under the four
"flaps" you created in the aluminum jacket.
Put the hose clamp over the flaps and tighten firmly onto the connector
threads. Tape for weatherproofing if used outdoors.

73/Jon AA1K