[TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX Tower - Boom Length

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn HDBX Tower - Boom Length
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 02:05:18 GMT
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998 13:46:34 -0500, tgstewart@pepco.com wrote:

>Unless you are looking for a quick, cheap installation because you arent
>going to be there very long, I'd stay away from the BX series towers.  Like
>Steve says, the are stamped diagonals and they use aluminum rivets.  They
>will not withstand a lot of torque.  In addition, the galvanization is
>rather cheap and a fter a few years, you'll have a lot of rust unless you
>paint the whole thing
My HDBX48 has been up for six years in the rainy Pacific Northwest and
the amount of rust is negligible.  I have a four element tribander and
a five element six meter yagi on it, rotated with a Tailtwister (which
supposedly won't fit, but it does).  I climb it several times a year
to hang wire antennas and generally fuss with things, and as far as I
can tell it's as tight as the day it was made.

It's not the biggest or the strongest, but it does the job.  I
recommend it highly.

73, Bill W7TI