[TowerTalk] Phillystran and Lightning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phillystran and Lightning
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 11:17:30 -0700
NI6W said:

> At the Polyphaser seminar I attended, guys broken up with
> insulators was discussed. Since they don't offer a direct path to
> earth, they will not become involved with the energy exchange.

  That's not necessarily true--lightning can easily arc over egg
insulators.  Doing that, the lightning can damage the concrete at
the guy anchors.  So, even metal guy cables broken with insulators
should be grounded at their lower end.
  One broadcast radio station that I worked for had a light display
during every storm.  Even when there was no local lightning this
base insulated tower would discharge the static build up via its
guy insulators arcing over (even with a static drain at its base).
When this happened at night people would sometimes stop and watch the
"light show."  This hazardous situation was eliminated by placing RF
chokes across the guy insulators...

N4KG said:

> > What happens to the Philystran when a tower guyed with
> > Philystran is struck by lightning?
> > Anyone with such experience or knowledge?

Installed correctly, the Philystran should not be damaged.  My Synthetic
Textiles Dacron/polyester guy rope was not effected when the tower
which it was supporting was struck by lightning.

73,  Bill     K0HA