[TowerTalk] Dismantling Rohn 25G tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dismantling Rohn 25G tower
From: shurst@magiclink.com (Steve Hurst)
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 13:00:07 -0600
Tnx Steve for the info. much appreciated !!!  Yes , this tower was
installed by myself about ten years ago. It is in excellent condx. no rust
or damage  in any way. I have been up and down on it several times in the
past installing antennas and checking things out. I now live in Twin Falls
Co. but I assume the wind zone is the same as Gooding Co. ? I am going to
be taking my time during the disassembly and reassembly at my new QTH. When
I reassemble the tower, I'm going to go 60 feet this time. I have 80 feet
of Rohn 25G. Here's another question, I picked up ( for free ) a top
section and a regular section of what I thought was 25G . But counting the
"zig-zag" braces I count only 7 . Instead of the 8 on 25G . These sections
look just like the 25G and are galvanized . Any idea what they are ? 20 G
??  I am not planning on using these sections along with my 25 G sections
after noticing this difference. Tnx again for the help , I really
appreciate it !!!!  Hope everyone had a nice safe 4th, we did .....

73,
Steve Hurst
KA7NOC  ( southern Idaho )
http://www.magiclink.com/web/shurst
shurst@magiclink.com

" I'm cooler than you are. Why don't you fix your little problem and light
this candle ?"
Alan B. Shepard

----------
> From: K7LXC@aol.com

>       Dismantling an old tower is a potentially dangerous undertaking (no
pun
> intended). Since it's your tower, it's not very tall and it's only 10
years
> old, the risk is minimal. If the previous conditions are NOT met, then be
REAL
> CAREFUL.
>
>      Nonethless, usually the biggest problem is getting the sections
apart.
> There is probably oxidation in the leg joints that one person on the
tower
> might not have enough leverage to get them apart. The handiest tool for
this
> operation is the TowerJack. It will help you pry the sections apart.
(It'll
> also pull the sections together when you put it back together.) Check out
> www.championradio.com for more info. The first time you use it - it will
have
> paid for itself! It's also simpler and safer than using 2x4's and a
hydraulic
> bottle jack.
>
> >  Also , I am looking at getting a new safety belt. The old one kinda
scares
> >  me :-)  !!!  What should I look for in tower climbing safty belts ?
I'm
> >  5'7" and weight is about 140 , 31 inch waist . I would also like to
know of
> >  any neat doo-dad's that come in really handy whilst on top of a tower
,
> >  tool pouch, buckets , etc.
>
>      Did I mention the Champion Radio Products web site? OSHA approved
safety
> equipment available also.
>
>      You may also want to start off with a copy of my 3-part series on
safety
> equipment that appeared in my CQ Contest magazine column, "Up The Tower".
An