[TowerTalk] ARRL Proposes License Changes ...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ARRL Proposes License Changes ...
From: pmcinnish@worldnet.att.net (Paul McInnish - K4BET)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:12:50 -0400
--------------C170D18081F289891AF9900C

Thought a few of you might like to see my response to the ARRL:
"I see this as a veiled attempt at starting the elimination of code
requirements. The surveys indicated that CW requirements should NOT be
reduced or changed. Why can't ARRL listen to the majority? ARRL, by
virtue of its definition, DOES NOT always represent the 'Amateur's best
interest'. Being ARRL does not make their decisions automatically good,
beneficial, accurate or in the best interest of the whole.

I could be convinced to go along with this new structure IF the ARRL
could convince me that it could clean up or convince the FCC/Justice
Dept. to clean up the garbage one hears on the air... listened to 3.875,
3.878, 3.898, 3.901 lately - to name a few frequencies?  Why would I tie
this into going along with the new proposal? Simple... this new
structure will proliferate an influx of new licensee's on the low bands
and the 'crud/garbage' problem will magnify itself on a logrimithic
scale!  I am not saying that CW makes a better person... I am saying the
relaxed ability to "memorize" a test & pass it causes this! Makes it
much easier for those 'questionable elements' to come on board!

Compare the quality of the fraternity of today vs. 30-40 years ago
before incentive licensing, before VE testing, easy to memorize tests,
etc. I had to take my test before an FCC examiner, no chance of 'buying'
my ticket, had to really know the theory to pass, etc., etc.  I AM NOT
condemning VE's as a group but we all know it presents a situation that
would allow some unscrupulous deviant person(s) to get licensed.

All of these comments I have made herein, I feel, contribute to a
general degradation of the fraternity and I am opposed to any change
that will proliferate the continued demise of quality in our ranks.
UNLESS ARRL convinces me it can do what I requested... clean up or cause
a clean up of the bands!

Yes, I know, numbers may be very contributory to our survival with all
the land mobile service pressures being placed upon our frequency
allocations. Is numbers and survival worth the hobby gradually
continuing the decline of a once elite group to nothing more than a
glorified CB radio, uncontrolled mass of junk?

Respectfully submitted by a 45 yr. licensed OT and long time Life Member

of ARRL....

Paul McInnish
K4BET"

--------------C170D18081F289891AF9900C